Richard & Maria Woods of Catteshall
Richard Woods, a son of George and Mary, was baptised in Shalford on 6 December 1795.
Maria, daughter of Samuel and Mary Denyer, was baptised in Thursley, Surrey, on 14 August 1796.
Richard Woods married Maria Denyer in Thursley on 29 October 1823 and they lived in Catteshall, which is just East of Godalming. They are known to have had the following children baptised:
|Elizabeth||9 Jan 1825||Thursley|
|John||18 Mar 1827||Godalming|
|William Edward (b. 1829 ?)||6 Mar 1831||Thursley|
|George||28 Oct 1831||Godalming|
|Samuel||7 Jun 1833||Godalming|
|Charles||30 Mar 1836||Godalming|
|Rosina (born 30 Apr)||8 Jun 1838||Godalming|
|Maria||11 Oct 1840||Godalming|
Rosina's birth certificate shows Richard's occupation as a baker but in 1841 the family were in Catteshall except for Richard and Elizabeth who were staying on Mead Row where they were registered as servants. However, the 1851 and 1861 census records do show Richard as a baker in Catteshall.
Richard died in 1867, aged 72, and in 1871 Maria was running a grocery shop in Catteshall Hatch along with her youngest daughter Maria and a 7-year-old grandson, Richard. Was he Maria’s son?
In 1881 Maria was still running the shop and Maria and Richard were still living with her. She died in 1883, aged 87.
Of their children:
- Elizabeth married Charles Matthews in 1846 and they lived in Catteshall where Charles worked as a labourer, sometimes in a paper mill. Their known children were:
Charles bap. 12 Sep 1847 Godalming Elizabeth bap. 13 May 1849 Godalming Mary Ann ca. 1851 Godalming George ca. 1856 Pimlico William 1859 Godalming Rosa 1866 Godalming Alice 1871 Godalming
- John, a labourer, married Elizabeth Pickett (born 1830, Compton) in 1852. They are known to have had the following children:
William Charles bap. 12 Jun 1853 Shalford George bap. 27 Jun 1855 Artington, Guildford Harriet Maria bap. 5 July 1857 Catshall Rosina ca 1858 Godalming Jane 1860 Godalming Mary Catherine ca 1861 Godalming Elizabeth ca 1863 Godalming Francis ca 1866 Godalming Clara ca 1868 Godalming John Pickett 1870 Godalming
- William, a tanner, married Harriet Langhorn (born Godalming ca.1831) in 1853 and they are known to have had the following children:
Edward ca. 1853 Godalming Walter ca. 1858 Godalming Willie ca. 1861 Godalming Mary Anne ca. 1864 Hemel Hempstead Rose Clare ca. 1867 Hemel Hempstead Jane ca. 1869 Hemel Hempstead Kate Lilian ca. 1871 Hemel Hempstead Alice ca. 1875 Hemel Hempstead
- In 1881 Edward was a tanner, also at Corner Hall, with his wife, Mary Ann, and children; Amelia Ellen (1878) and William Edward (1880).
- George was a tanner and married Martha Mansell at Thursley on 24 December 1863. They lived in Hemel Hempstead where they had the following children:
Maud L ca. 1864 Hemel Hempstead Clara ca. 1865 Hemel Hempstead George ca. 1867 Hemel Hempstead Annie 1870 Hemel Hempstead Walter ca. 1872 Hemel Hempstead Rosa Sarah 1875 Hemel Hempstead Willie 1877 Hemel Hempstead Samuel Leonard 1880 Hemel Hempstead
- Samuel was a tanner and married Lydia Monk in 1857.
- Charles was a tanner and in 1859 he married Annie Coppinger from Andover and in 1861 was staying at 15 Alice Street, Bermondsey, with the first of their children:
Fanny 1860 Bermondsey Charles 1862 Bermondsey Annie 1866 Hemel Hempstead Mary 1868 Hemel Hempstead Alice ca. 1870 Hemel Hempstead Esther ca. 1871 Hemel Hempstead Ellen ca. 1873 Hemel Hempstead William ca. 1875 Hemel Hempstead Kate Lilian 1882 Hemel Hempstead
- Rosina married John Collins, a farm labourer, at St Nicholas, Guildford, on 9 June 1866. They lived at 2 Park Road and had four children:
Elizabeth Maria bap. 8 Dec 1867 Stoke next Guildford, Sry George James bap. 11 Dec 1870 Holy Trinity, Guildford, Sry Emma Rose bap. 22 Jun 1873 Holy Trinity, Guildford, Sry Kate Jane 1875
- Maria may have had a son, Richard, in 1863. She never married but helped her mother run the shop in Catteshall Hatch. After her mother died she lived on her own in Mead Row (1891) and Harts Lane (1901). She died in 1909, aged 67.