John & Elizabeth Pattenden
of East Grinstead
John Pattenden, the eldest surviving son of Richard and Mary, was baptised in East Grinstead on 27 December 1753.
He married Elizabeth Gower in East Grinstead on 30 October 1774 and they had the following children:
|Elizabeth||30 Oct 1774||East Grinstead (died young?)|
|Ann||20 Sep 1778||East Grinstead|
|Mary||15 Apr 1781||East Grinstead|
|Thomas||23 Nov 1783||East Grinstead|
|Elizabeth||13 Feb 1785||East Grinstead|
|William||14 May 1786||East Grinstead|
|Edward||12 Oct 1788||East Grinstead|
|Henry||6 Mar 1791||East Grinstead|
|Charlotte||4 May 1794||East Grinstead|
|Jane||21 Aug 1796||East Grinstead|
|Susan||21 Oct 1798||East Grinstead|
Of their children:
- Ann may have married Thomas Butler in Salehurst on 18 Jan 1801.
- Mary married Benjamin Cork in West Hoathly on 14 Sep 1806 and in 1841 they were living in Hartfield, Sussex.
- Thomas may have married Harriet French in Salehurst on 18 Apr 1818.
- William married Amelia Dearling.
- Edward married Lucy Brooker in Croydon, St John the Baptist, in August 1821 and they had the following children baptised:
Edward 10 Feb 1822 Worth William 30 May 1824 East Grinstead Caroline 28 Jan 1827 East Grinstead Amelia 1 Feb 1829 East Grinstead James 11 Aug 1833 Worth
- Henry married Jane Wood in East Grinstead on 9 January 1820 where they had the following children:
John 7 May 1820 East Grinstead Eliza 25 Aug 1822 East Grinstead Henry 10 Jul 1825 East Grinstead Jane 24 Jun 1827 East Grinstead William 24 May 1829 East Grinstead Sarah 29 May 1831 East Grinstead George 22 Jul 1832 East Grinstead Harriet 6 Jul 1834 East Grinstead James 1836 Horne (died young?) Peter 31 Dec 1837 East Grinstead Thomas 1840 Horne Edmund 1842 Horne (died 1842) Amos 3 Oct 1843 Horne
- George probably married Philadelphia from Godstone with whom he was living in 1861 with their two children Anne and Alfred both born in Worth. They also appear to have had a son William in 1858 but he is not with them in 1861.
- Peter married Ellen Gear in East Grinstead on 17 September 1859 and they are known to have had two children there, William in 1860 and Charles in 1862. They also had a daughter Ellen and a son Hursley baptised in Felbridge in 1864 and 1866 respectively.
- Charlotte married James Meads in Balcombe on 21 Jan 1822 and are known to have had the following children baptised:
John 28 Jul 1822 Ardingly William 17 Feb 1824 Ardingly James 20 Feb 1825 Ardingly Eleanor 24 Dec 1826 Ardingly Thomas 28 Dec 1828 Ardingly Mary 10 Apr 1831 Ardingly Joseph 3 Feb 1839 Ardingly