William & Hannah Monk of Send
William Monk, son of William and Rebecca, was baptised in Send & Ripley on 21 April 1793.
Hannah Dolley, daughter of John and Hannah, was baptised in Worplesdon on 8 January 1792.
William married Hannah in Send & Ripley on 7 May 1816 and among their children were:
|Elizabeth||19 Mar 1820||Send & Ripley bap. 16 Apr|
|Caroline||10 Dec 1821||Send & Ripley bap. 6 Jan 1822|
|Isaac||25 Oct 1825||Send & Ripley bap. 20 Nov|
|Joseph||1 Jun 1827||Send & Ripley bap. 24 Jun|
|Mary||11 Jun 1829||Send & Ripley bap. 12 Jul|
|Samuel||4 Nov 1831||Send & Ripley bap. 4 Dec|
|Rosannah||27 Jan 1836||Send & Ripley bap. 28 Feb|
Hannah appears to have died in 1841. At the census William was living in Send with several of his children plus a granddaughter, Lydia, Louisa’s illegitimate child. Two of his daughters had married.
In 1843 William married a widow, Sarah Ayling, and in 1851 they were living in Ripley with William’s son Samuel and two of Sarah’s children. William was receiving parish relief.
William continued to live in Ripley with Sarah and he died in either 1862 or 1864.
Of their children:
- Louisa had a daughter, Lydia, in 1836 and married Robert Turner in 1843.
- Elizabeth married Meshach Linegar, a farm worker, in Send & Ripley on 28 October 1837 and in 1841 they were living in Send with their only known son, James (born 1839). Elizabeth died in 1846.
- Caroline married John Dewberry, a farm worker, in 1838 and they are believed to have had 3 children baptised:
William 12 Apr 1840 Worplesdon Ellen (or Helen) 3 Jan 1847 Worplesdon Henry Albert 4 Aug 1852 Woking, St John the Baptist
- Isaac was a farm worker living with his father in 1841 but has not been traced after that.
- Joseph may have died in 1841. He does not appear in the census.
- Mary has not been traced after 1841.
- Samuel was a farm worker and married Eliza Cox in 1856. Their children were:
Samuel bapt 27 Dec 1857 Ockham William bapt 25 Dec 1859 Ockham Clara born 21 Apr 1862 Ripley (bapt 1 June) Lydia Q3 1864 Ockham Arthur Q4 1866 Wisley Benjamin Q4 1868 Wisley Emily Eliza Q1 1878 Stoke D’Abernon (bap. 1 Sep)
- Rosanna was working as a servant in Worplesdon in 1851. In 1858 she married Richard Ricketts, a farm worker from West Clandon, where they were living in 1861. Their children were:
Rosanna bapt 28 Aug 1859 Guildford, Holy Trinity Ann Louise Q13 1861 West Clandon Alice Q3 1865 Stoke Eliza bapt 24 May 1868 Guildford, St Mary Richard bapt 19 Feb 1870 Guildford, St Mary James Q4 1872 Guildford