William & Amelia Heasman
of East Grinstead & Reigate
William Heasman was born in Edenbridge, Kent, in about 1819. He may have been a son of Henry Heasman of Edenbridge and Worth.
Amelia Pattenden, the first child of William and Amelia, was baptised in Lingfield on 5 November 1815. She had a daughter, Caroline, baptised in East Grinstead on 25 September 1835, but Caroline was brought up by Amelia’s parents.
William married Amelia in 1839 and they lived near East Grinstead and had the following children:
|Edmund||16 Feb 1840||East Grinstead|
|William||31 Oct 1841||East Grinstead|
|John||26 Jan 1845||East Grinstead|
|Ann||25 Apr 1847||East Grinstead|
|Jane||29 Feb 1852||East Grinstead|
|George||25 Jun 1854||East Grinstead|
|Harriet(born 2 Mar)||26 Apr 1857||East Grinstead|
In 1851 and 1861 the family were living at East Grinstead Common, which was to the north of the town. William and his two sons, William and John, were Lath Cleavers; many of the Heasmans in the area worked in the timber industry. There were several Heasmans from Edenbridge in the area.
In about 1866 William moved to Redhill, Surrey, where he worked for a firm of timber merchants. In 1871 he was a lath render living in Garlands Road with Amelia and four of their children; John, Thomas, George and Harriet. The three sons were also lath renders, as was his son William, who had married and lived next door with his wife, Emma, and son George. William's daughter Jane was a servant in Holmsdale Road.
By 1881 William had become foreman in the timber yard and he and Amelia had moved to Lesbourne Road where they had been joined by their eldest son, Edmund, who was a sawyer and unmarried. Their other sons were all married and living in Redhill or Reigate and the name was often recorded as Heaysman. Their daughter Harriet was a cook at ‘Ferndell’, London Road, Reigate, along with the Holman sisters, Alice, who was shortly to marry Edmund Heasman, and Annette. Daughter Jane had married John Inkpen.
In 1891 William, still foreman at the timber yard, and Amelia were living at 9 Lesbourne Road.
By 1901 William was a widower and had retired from the timber yard. He was living at 13 Lesbourne Road and staying with him were his grandchildren Esther (28, William’s daughter) and Louis (14, Thomas’s son).
William is believed to have died in 1908 aged 90.
Of their children:
- Edmund has not been found in the 1861 or 1871 census records; perhaps he was away serving in the army? In 1881 he was a sawyer living with his parents and on 28 January 1882, at Redhill St Matthew, he married Alice Holman, 15 years his junior, who had been in service with his sister Harriet. Their children were:
Annette Q3 1882 Reigate Lilian Beatrice Q1 1884 Reigate Alan Q4 1886 Reigate John William bap 26 May 1889 Redhill, St Matthew
- William married Emma Wells (born 1840) from Hitchen in 1868 and they had the following children:
George Henry ca. 1869 Redhill Rose 5 Nov 1871 Redhill, Saint John Esther 14 Dec 1873 Godstone Fred ca. 1877 Godstone Annie ca. 1881 Reigate Minnie Q3 1887 Reigate
- John was a lath render and married Mary Ann Graver (born 1838) from Syderstone, Norfolk in 1872, but they do not appear to have had any children. In 1881 they were living in Wilton Road, Redhill, but by 1891 they had moved to Albert Road, Horley and by 1901 John had become a foreman in a timber yard. In 1911 their address was given as 76 Albert Road.
- Ann has not been found after the 1861 census. Did she die or marry?
- Thomas married Emily (born 1851) from Redhill and they had the following children:
Emily Jane Q1 1874 Redhill William Q1 1876 Redhill Leonard ca. 1877 Redhill Alice A ca. 1879 Redhill Herbert ca. 1881 Redhill Mabel Q1 1884 Redhill Louis Q2 1886 Redhill Lilian May Q3 1892 Redhill Evelyn Q2 1894 Redhill
- Jane was a servant in Holmsdale Road, Reigate, in 1871 and in 1878 she married John Inkpen, a blacksmith. They had one child:
John W ca. 1879 Reigate
- George married Elizabeth Jane Carpenter (born 1848 in Reigate) in 1877 and their children were:
Arthur George S Q2 1878 Reigate Edward C ca. 1880 Reigate Amelia ca. 1881 Reigate May Sarah Q3 1887 Reigate
- Harriet married Charles Winchester, a bootmaker, in Redhill on 16 September 1882 and they lived in Ladbroke Road, Redhill (see Charles & Harriet Winchester).