Martin & Elizabeth Effemey of Romsey
Martin Effamy may have been a son of Martin and Mary of Tytherly born in 1785. It appears that the names Martin and Mark (Mart?) were used interchangeably in this family as both Martin and his son, Martin, were often recorded as Mark.
Elizabeth Harding, daughter of William and Hannah, was baptised in Romsey on 27 February 1791.
Martin Effemey married Elizabeth Harding in Romsey on 6 December 1807 and they had a number of children baptised there:
|Jane||14 Aug 1808||born 1 April|
|Stephen||22 Jul 1810||born 4 July|
|Fanny||3 Jan 1813|
|Elizabeth||2 Apr 1815|
|Martin||9 Nov 1817|
|William||10 Sep 1820|
|Betsey||10 Aug 1823|
|Mary Ann||16 Apr 1826|
|Louisa||23 Nov 1828|
Elizabeth was buried in Romsey on 22 January 1837 and the 1841 census shows Mark living in Latemore Street, Romsey, along with William, Louisa, his married daughter Fanny and her husband William Rogers.
In 1851 Mark was still in Latemore Street, but this time his son, William, was staying with him along with his wife and daughter. In most records Mark was shown as a farm labourer.
By 1861 Mark was staying with his son Martin and his family and he died in 1866 aged 81.
Of their children:
Jane had a daughter, Fanny Effamy, baptised in Romsey on 23 November 1828 and may have married Henry Clarke?
- Stephen was a farm worker and married Martha Wren in Michelmersh on 13 October 1831. They had the following children baptised:
William 18 Dec 1831 Romsey Jane 26 May 1833 Romsey Ellen 7 Sep 1834 Romsey Elizabeth 12 Jun 1836 Romsey George 1 Jul 1838 Romsey Charles 3 Jan 1841 Romsey Edwin 5 Feb 1843 Romsey Alfred 27 Apr 1845 Michelmersh Fanny 18 Jul 1847 Michelmersh Frederick 11 Nov 1849 Michelmersh John 23 Nov 1851 Michelmersh Henry 28 Feb 1854 Michelmersh Sarah 13 Apr 1856 Michelmersh
- Jane married John Meaby in Michelmersh on 4 October 1851 and by 1861 they were living in Timsbury with their children.
- Charles married Elizabeth Wren in Michelmersh on 13 April 1861.
- Alfred married Jane Oliver in Nursling on 13 October 1866 where they had Fred in 1868, George and Harry in 1870, and Alfred in 1872.
- Fanny married Henry Charles Biddicombe in Timsbury on 22 November 1869.
- Frederick married Mary Ann Day in Timsbury on 29 July 1871.
- Henry married Emma Coward in Timsbury on 8 January 1877.
- Fanny married William Rogers, a farm worker, in 1837. They seem to have always lived in Latemore Street, Romsey, but had no children.
- Martin, mostly shown as a shoemaker, married Elizabeth Teagues in St John's, Winchester on 20 September 1840 and they lived in Romsey where they had the following children baptised:
Albert Frederick 29 Mar 1843 Ellen 5 Apr 1845 died? William Edward 6 Jun 1848 Elija Martin 5 Aug 1851 died 1855 Alford 12 Nov 1853 died? Ellen Emily 10 Apr 1855 Walter 19 May 1857 Henery Heber 19 Jan 1860 died 1860 Alfred 27 Nov 1861
- Ellen Emily had a son William in 1872.
- William was a farm labourer and married Martha sometime in the 1840s. Their only known child was baptised in Romsey:
Fanny Louisa 11 Apr 1847 Romsey
- Louisa married Joseph Chapman and lived in Romsey and later Redhill.