Edwin & Eleanor Parry of Moss, Broughton
Edwin Parry, a son of Samuel and Sarah, was born in the parish of Broughton in about 1839. He was a collier from at least the age of 12 according to the 1851 census.
Eleanor Thomas, daughter of a collier, Evan, and his wife Eleanor, was born at Brymbo on 19 April 1839. She had been married, to another Parry, and widowed by the time she married Edwin.
Edwin Parry married Eleanor Parry, widow, in Brymbo parish church on 27 December 1862 and Samuel Parry and Sarah Thomas were witnesses. They are known to have had four children:
26 Jun 1865
In 1871 he and his family were living near the Globe Tavern and in 1881 his address was just given as Moss. In 1891 Edwin and Ellen were at Pentre with just their son Samuel. Edwin was a checkweighman and Samuel was a coal miner.
In 1901 Edwin and Ellen were at 16 Black Lane Road, Brymbo, with their son Samuel. 15 and 16 were probably Ty Newydd and Awelfa the cottages built by Edwin’s mother.
Edwin was said to have been something of a poet and apparently went up into the hills to recite. He may have died in 1910.
Of their children:
- Price Isaac married Pheobe Davies in 1887 and lived in Moss.
Sarah married John Price Fisher, a coal miner, in Q3 of 1889. In 1891 they were in Pentre, Brymbo, and in 1901 they were in Chapel Road, Brymbo. Their known children (all born Broughton) were:
By 1911 they had moved to County Durham and were living in Ferryhill. It is known there were 3 other children who had all died before 1911, possibly including John Ellis (1905) and Hannah Maria (1909).
Mary appears to have been a servant in Burslem, Staffordshire, in 1891. She married John Matthias, a coal miner, early in 1892 and in 1901 they were at 2 Gwersyllt Hill, Brymbo, with the first two of their three known children:
Presumably John Matthias died (although not found) as in 1907 Mary married James Thomas.
Samuel was a coal miner and married Sarah Jane Edwards in 1901. At the 1911 census they were living at 16 Black Lane Road, Pentre Broughton, which was one of the cottages earlier owned by Samuel’s grandparents, Samuel and Sarah Parry. Their known children were: