David & Eleanor Hughes of Brymbo & Broughton
David Hughes was born in Liverpool in around 1801.
Eleanor was born in Gwalchmai, Anglesea in about 1796.
David was a carpenter who lived in the Brymbo/Broughton area with his wife Eleanor and they are known to have had at least four children:
The 1851 census shows David and Eleanor living at Kerney, Brymbo, with 4 of their children and in 1861 David and Ellen were at Moss Incline with a 9-year-old granddaughter, Mary Hughes.
By 1871 David and Ellen had moved to Newton in Makerfield (now Newton-le-Willows), Lancashire, as had their sons William and Hugh. Their granddaughter, Mary, was still living with them but had recently married to Adam Roberts.
David died in 1872 and Ellen in 1874.
Of their children:
William became a carpenter and by 1861 he was living at 29 Booth Street, Newton in Makerfield with his wife, Elizabeth, and children:
William and Elizabeth had moved to Houghton Street by 1871 and they were still at 16 Houghton Street in 1891.
- Hugh, a joiner, married Mary and in 1861 they were living in the same house as William in Newton. By 1871 they had moved to Lawrence Street and had 3-year-old Elizabeth Davies with them. In 1881 they still had Elizabeth Davies and also 6-year-old Ellen Parry living with them. In 1891 they were still at 14 Lawrence Street and Lizzie and Nellie were then shown as their daughters, although Lizzie had recently married Abram Jones. It must be suspected that Hugh and Mary had adopted the two girls.
- Mary married John Davies in 1853.