James & Sarah Davies
of Kerney & Broughton
James Davies was a stonemason.
Sarah, whose maiden name is not known, was born in Gresford in about 1810.
James and Sarah are known to have had five children:
James died in 1848 and in his will made on 29 December 1847 he left everything to his wife Sarah including “two tenements or houses together with the two small gardens thereunto attached situate lying and being at Nant? in the aforesaid township” (Broughton).
In 1851 Sarah was living in Kerney with her children and her occupation was recorded as 'mason' so she must have carried on her husband’s business for a while. However, by 1861 she was recorded as a washer woman living in Pentre Broughton with her son James.
In 1871 Sarah was living near Moss Chapel, next door to her son John, probably in 56 Westminster Road. Also with her were her children, Sarah and James, and a boarder, Edwin Manley. In 1874 Sarah, the daughter, married Edwin Manley and in 1881 they were living at Brynteg and had Sarah Davies staying with them. Sarah probably died in 1884 or 1889.
Of their children:
- John was a furniture maker and married Mary Hughes
- Sarah married Edwin Manley, a colliery engine driver, in 1874 but they do not appear to have had any children.