Benjamin & Ann Manners
of Blackland, Calne
Benjamin Manners, the son of Joseph and Sarah, was baptised in Blackland in 1761.
Anne Glead, daughter of Robert and Martha, was baptised in Calne on 8 July 1759.
Benjamin Manners married Anne Gleed in Calne on 8 April 1782.
Benjamin and Anne had the following children, all of whom were mentioned in Benjamin’s will of 1835:
|Elizabeth||31 May 1790||bap 13 June|
|Hannah||bap. 24 Dec 1794||Blackland|
Ann Manners died at the age of 39 on 16 August 1799 and was buried on 20 August 1799 in Blackland churchyard where her headstone still stands.
Benjamin Manners married Elizabeth Butcher in Calne on 22 March 1802. Their children, some mentioned in Benjamin’s will, are believed to have been:
|John||bap. 27 July 1803||Calne|
|Ann||Calne buried 14 Nov 1804|
|Harriet||bap. 8 Jun 1806||Calne|
|Ann||bap 23 Sep 1807||Calne|
|David||Calne buried 8 Jan 1810|
|David||bap. 17 April 1811||Heddington born 21 Feb 1811 twins|
|Sarah||bap. 17 April 1811||Heddington born 21 Feb 1811 twins|
|Mary||bap. 15 Nov 1813||Heddington|
|Leah||bap. 5 Jan 1818||Heddington|
Benjamin made a will in 1835 and died early in 1837. It is clear from his will that Benjamin was a farmer.
In 1841 Elizabeth was staying with her son John in Quemerford. She died in 1849.
Of Benjamin’s children:
Joseph married Elizabeth Reeves in Calne on 13 May 1815 and they had the following children:
Julia bap. 1 Jun 1817 Heddington Louisa bap. 1 Jun 1817 Heddington James ca. 1819 Benjamin ca. 1821 George ca. 1823 William ca. 1825 Susannah bap. 12 Aug 1827 Heddington
- James was a carpenter, married Sarah Pearce in Heddington on 19 July 1810, and they may have had these children:
Henry 1811 Joseph 1816 Jane 6 Oct 1816 Heddington Anne 2 May 1819 Heddington Harriet 23 Dec 1821 Heddington Charles 1824 James 1827 Sarah 14 Dec 1828 Heddington Eliza ca.1831 James ca.1835 William ca.1839
- Elizabeth married Cain Duck in 1811 and lived in Blackland, Calne. When her father died in 1837 she was bequeathed the cottage adjoining that bequeathed to her brother Joseph.
- Hannah married James Duck in Heddington on 26 May 1814 and Joseph Manners was one of the witnesses. James and Hannah lived in Bromham where they had 9 children baptised:
William 5 Jan 1815 Joseph 29 Dec 1816 must have died young James 17 May 1818 born 29 April 1818 Joseph 21 Jan 1821 Jane 21 Dec 1823 Mary Ann 16 Jul 1826 Isaac 22 Feb 1829 Henry 9 Apr 1832 Elijah 19 Feb 1837
- Benjamin was referred to as a wheeler in his father’s will of 1835 although in all the census records he was shown as a carpenter living in Heddington. He married Hannah Hughes in Heddington on 17 July 1821 and they are believed to have had the following children, all born in Heddington:
Caroline bap. 29 Dec 1822 Henry ca. 1823 Alfred ca. 1825 Mary Ann bap. 4 Mar 1824 Elizabeth bap. 29 Mar 1829 Daniel ca. 1831 Eliza bap. 7 Apr 1833 James ca. 1835 Sarah bap. 25 Dec 1836 Jesse late 1838 Julia bap. 3 Oct 1841
- John may have married Hannah Ford in Calne on 21 December 1834 although she appears to have died young and no children are known. John lived in a cottage in Quemerford, eventually bequeathed to him in 1837 by his father along with the adjoining cottage occupied by William New. In 1841 he had his mother living with him in Quemerford. He married Esther Powell in 1845 and they had a son:
George John Powell 1848 Calne Mark 1861 Greenham
- Harriet is believed to have married in 1823 and was mentioned as the widow of Jacob White in her father’s will of 1835 but nothing more is known about her.
- Ann is believed to have married Charles Romain in 1823 and they are known to have had at least 2 children:
Charles 16 May 1824 Southbroom Mary Ann 30 Jul 1830 Devizes
- David was said to be a shoemaker when mentioned in his father’s will of 1835, but by 1851 he was a shopkeeper selling groceries in Quemerford Common. He had married Sarah Bailey in 1837 and they are known to have had 3 children:
Henry 1838 Blackland Frances 1839 Blackland David 1844 Calne
- Sarah was a dressmaker according to her father’s will of 1835 but nothing more is known about her.
- Mary married Henry Shepherd in 1841 and they are known to have had 5 children:
Ann Caroline 1841 Chippenham Wiliam ca. 1844 Corsham John Henry 1847 Bridgwater, Somerset Robert ca. 1850 Bath, Somerset George D ca. 1854 Cirencester, Gloucester
- Jacob was recorded as a publican living in Quemerford in 1851 but has not been traced after that.
- Leah married George Watts in 1840 and they had one son:
Jesse Dec 1840 or Jan 1841 Calne