William & Winifred Hunnisett of Westham
William Hunnisett, the first child born to James and Mary after their marriage, was born on 31 May 1785 and baptised in Westham on 19 June.
Winifred Manser, daughter of Thomas and Elizabeth, was baptised in Westham on 25 October 1798.
William and Winifred were married in Westham on 6 March 1821 and they had nine children baptised there:
|Thomas||4 Aug 1822|
|Elizabeth||29 Aug 1824|
|Esther||18 Jun 1826|
|Mary||25 May 1828|
|Frances||9 Mar 1831|
|Benjamin||25 Jun 1833|
|Joseph||7 Feb 1836|
|Samuel||14 Oct 1838|
|Caroline||6 Nov 1842|
William was an agricultural labourer and lived in Blackness, a hamlet in the parish of Westham. The 1841 census shows them at Black Nest with all their children except Thomas who was working as a farm servant at Peelings. Their daughter Esther was buried on 8 October 1843 aged 17.
The 1851 census shows William and Winifred still in Blackness with their three youngest children; Joseph, Samuel and Caroline. Also with them were two grandchildren; John, shown as their son but actually Elizabeth's illegitimate son, and Esther, shown as their niece but really the daughter of Thomas and his wife, Mary.
William died aged 66 and was buried in Westham on 12 September 1851. In 1861 Winifred was working as a servant for Ephraim Baker in Glynde, close to where her daughter, Elizabeth, was living. Winifred lived to be 71, died during the night of 27/28 December 1869 and was buried in Westham on 2 January 1870. The Sussex Express for 4 January 1870 carried a report of the inquest into Winifred's death, held at the Red Lion, Westham, at which it appeared that her son [un-named, but probably Thomas], with whom she was staying, had found her to be dead when he arose in the morning.
Of William and Winifred's children:
- Thomas married Mary Funnell and they lived with their children in Westham (see page for Thomas & Mary).
- Elizabeth had an illegitimate son John, born at the Union House, Eastbourne, on 18 April 1847. In 1851 she was working as a servant at 8 Cornfield in Eastbourne, and John was being brought up by his grandparents in Westham. On 24 June 1860 Elizabeth married John Turner in Glynde where they were living in 1861 with their daughter Winifred and Elizabeth's son John. Elizabeth's known children were:
John Hunnisett 18 Apr 1847 Eastbourne Winifred Turner late 1860 Glynde Caroline Rhoda Turner late 1862 Beddingham
- John married Harriett Hook from Robertsbridge and lived in Salehurst with their children.
- Esther died in 1843, aged 17.
- Mary was a servant in Lewes in 1851. She married a carpenter, William Goldsmith, in 1854 and they lived in Lewes with their children:
Mary Q3 1855 Lewes Frederick William Q1 1857 Lewes Herbert Q4 1858 Lewes Eunice Q1 1861 Lewes Ernest Q2 1863 Lewes Rose Q4 1865 Lewes
- Frances was working as a cook at a school for young ladies in Walcot, near Bath in Somerset in 1851. By 1861 she had returned to Sussex and was a servant to Charlotte Baxter in Lewes. There she married Edward Knowles, a carpenter, in 1865 and they moved to Newington, London, where their son was born:
Sidney Herbert Q4 1869 Newington
- Benjamin was working as a servant to Mr Breton at Peelings Farm in 1851. He married Louisa Clapson in Westham on 6 February 1858 and they had the following children:
William Benjamin 6 Jun 1858 Westham Thomas Henry 25 Mar 1860 Westham Fanny 15 Dec 1861 Westham James 6 Apr 1863 Westham Louisa 3 Sep 1865 Westham Benjamin 5 Apr 1868 Westham George born 24 Mar 1871 Westham Charles 14 Dec 1873 Ripe Frederick Q4 1875 Ripe Harry Q1 1878 Ripe Arthur Ernest born 20 Dec 1880 bap Ripe 27 Feb 1881 Herbert Q1 1886 Ripe
Louisa died on 10 February 1886, shortly after Bert was born, and in 1891 Benjamin, by then described as an agricultural labourer, was still in Ripe with his sons Benjamin, Charles, Frederick, Harry and Arthur. In 1901 Benjamin was living in West Firle with his daughter Louisa.
Benjamin died on 22 September 1905, aged 72. A headstone to Benjamin and Louisa was erected in Ripe churchyard by their children.
In loving memory of
died February 10 1886
Also of BENJAMIN
husband of the above
died September 22 1905
they are gone from our sight,
but not from memory, nor from love,
but gone to our father's home above
Erected by their children
Ben's and Louisa's children - probably taken in 1905
- Joseph married Sophia Reed in Westham on 17 July 1858 and they had one son:
Joseph James 14 Nov 1859 bapt. 19 Feb 1860, Westham
Joseph then fathered a child by Sophia's sister, Frances Reed:
Joseph George (Reed) 1 May 1862 bapt. 1 May, Bodle Street Green
Alfred Henry 31 July 1865 bapt. 8 Oct , Bodle Street Green William Thomas 31 Dec 1867 Bexhill Alfred John 28 Sep 1871 bapt. 3 Dec, Crowhurst Ansley Rosaleid 10 July 1875 Bexhill
- Samuel, married Eliza Buckfield in Herstmonceux on 9 March 1867 and they had the following children:
Samuel 14 Nov 1869 Bexhill - born 25 July Mary Ann Q1 1872 Hooe Walter prob. 25 May 1874 Herstmonceux Benjamin 30 Sep 1877 born 29 July, Pope's Farm Alice Jane 19 August 1882 Hellingly
Samuel died in Steyning on 5 July 1891, aged 52, and Eliza on 12 October 1919.
- Caroline married a blacksmith, Frederick Fairall, in Bodle Street Green on 20 June 1860 and their children were:
Caroline Winifred bapt. 1 Sep 1861 Bodle Street Green Matthew born 1862 Mark bapt. 28 Feb 1864 Bodle Street Green Jane bapt. 25 Dec 1865 Bodle Street Green Luke bapt. 11 Aug 1867 Bodle Street Green John born ca. 1871 Bodle Street Green Emily bapt. 24 Nov 1874 Bodle Street Green Fred bapt. 10 Dec 1876 died March 1878 Esther bapt. 27 Apr 1879 Bodle Street Green Rose bapt. 26 Jun 1881 Chiddingly Annie ca. 1883 Sally ca. 1885
Caroline died in 1906, aged 66.