James & Mary Hunnisett of Westham
James Honysett, a son of Richard and Elizabeth, was baptised in Herstmonceux on 29 July 1750.
The Herstmonceux baptismal registers have the following entry for 22 March 1778:
Thomas, illegitimate son of Mary Miller by James Hunnisett
However, what happened to young Thomas has not been established.
James married Mary Miller (ca.1755-1821) from Herstmonceux in 1784. Banns were called in Westham on 18 and 25 July and 1 August and the marriage took place in Herstmonceux on 8 August. They lived in Westham where they had six children baptised:
|William||19 Jun 1785||born 31 May|
|James||16 Sep 1787||born 2 Sep|
|Ann||27 Sep 1789||born 14 Sep|
|Henry||20 May 1792||born 26 Apr|
|Elizabeth||6 Jul 1794||born 7 Jun|
|Richard||5 Nov 1797||born 5 Oct|
James was an agricultural labourer and appears to have inherited none of the wealth of his forebears.
Mary died aged 65 and was buried in Westham on 1 April 1821. James died when he was 75 and was buried in Westham on 26 January 1826. Neither appears to have left a will.
Of James and Mary's children:
- William married Winifred Manser and lived in Westham with their family.
- James married Ann Ward in 1807 and they had a daughter, Mary, the following year. However Mary died when she was less than a year old and Ann died the following year. James then married Elizabeth Streeter in 1813 and they had a son James in 1814.
In 1841 the family were living at Black Nest (now Blackness) but by 1851 James and Elizabeth had moved to one of four cottages he had built on a piece of land called ‘Little Bittes’ which he owned on Mill Hill. The cottages were known as Hunnisett Cottages and James continued to live there until he died in 1873, aged 85. By this time both his wife and his son had died, so in his will he left everything to his nephews and nieces.
- Ann married Jesse Humphrey (born ca. 1790) in Westham on 16 November 1810 and among their children were:
George ca. 1821 Thomas ca. 1827
- Henry married Philadelphia Woods in 1814 and they lived in Westham with their children, all baptised in Westham:
Sarah 30 Apr 1815 buried 30 July 1815 Mary 22 Sep 1816 Ann 29 Nov 1818 Charlotte 8 Aug 1819 Henry 1 Apr 1821 William 11 Jan 1824 John 4 Jan 1827 Thomas 21 Feb 1831 George 3 Jun 1832 buried 22 June 1832 James 1 Sep 1833 buried 29 Dec 1833 Philadelphia 7 Jun 1835 Richard 14 Oct 1838 born 30 Sept
- Elizabeth died when she was only 14 and was buried in Westham on 29 December 1808.
- Richard married Susannah Hemsley, from Framfield, in 1819 and they had two children:
Charlotte ca. 1819 Thomas bapt. 18 Feb 1821 Westham