Caleb & Naomi Elphick of Westham
Caleb Elphick, second son of David and Mary, was born in Westham and christened in Lewes on 3 June 1827. At the age of 23 he was living with his parents in Red Dyke House, Westham.
Naomi Douch, daughter of Jonathan and Mary, was born in Westham in 1836. She was living-in as a servant with a Mr Bown in Eastbourne in 1851.
On 3 June 1854 Caleb married Naomi in Westham parish church and they are known to have had eleven children:
|Sarah Ann||27 Feb 1858|
|Rosa Ellen||1861||bapt. 17 Nov 1861 Westham|
|Flora May||1871||died 1872|
In 1861 Caleb and Naomi lived on Willingdon Drove and Caleb was a Carter. By 1871 they had moved to Friday Street where they were again in 1881, 1891, 1901 and 1911 and Caleb was usually described as an agricultural labourer. The 1899 Kelly's Directory describes him as a bailiff in Friday Street.
Caleb died on 5 April 1911 aged 83. Naomi died on 21 October 1913 aged 76. Both were buried in Westham churchyard and their headstone also mentions Flora May Elphick who died on 26 September 1872, aged 1 year and 4 months.
Headstone in Westham
|In Memory Of
Who Died April 15th 1911
In His 85th Year
Also Of His Daughter
Who Died Sept 26th 1872
Aged 1 Year & 4 Months
Gone but not forgotten
The Beloved Wife Of The Above
Who Died October 21st 1913
Aged 76 years
Of their children:
- Elizabeth, their eldest child often known as Mary, married Peter Pelling in Westham on 1 July 1876 when she was 19. The marriage was witnessed by Sarah Ann Elphick and William Hunnisett. In 1881 they were at 3 Alfrey Cottages, just off Seaside with children Albert and Elizabeth. Peter was a bricklayer. In 1891 they were at 1 Myrtle Road with two more children, Mabel and (William) George who died in 1895, aged 11 (MI in Willingdon). In 1901 Peter was boarding in Hanover Road, Eastbourne, and Mary was visiting Caroline and Fanny Ellis in Hailsham. In 1911 Mary was in Sevenoaks working as a laundress and appears to have split up with Peter. Eastbourne police made a census return showing that Peter Pelling was found in a stable at the Alexandra Arms! Mary died in 1938 (reg. in Malling).
- Sarah Ann married William Hunnisett in Westham on 1 June 1878 and the marriage was witnessed by Peter Pelling and Esther Hunnisett. They lived in Westham for some years and later in Eastbourne. Sarah died in 1944. (see page for William and Sarah).
- David was a bricklayer lodging in Croydon in 1881 where the following year he married Rhoda Jones and where they lived with their six children:
Walter 1882 William 1883 Frederick Arthur Q3 1885 Daisy Maud Q1 1887 George 1888 Sydney Harold Q3 1894
- Rosa Ellen married George Howell in Westham on 3 May 1884. George was a policeman in Eastbourne and they do not appear to have had any children.
- Jonathan became a groom and married Louisa Stevens in 1887 and they had at least five children, three of them baptised in Willingdon:
Fritz William 19 May 1889 Willingdon Mabel Louisa ca. 1891 Ernest Allan 9 July 1893 Willingdon Doris May bapt. 2 Mar 1897 bur. 8 March aged 6 weeks, Westham Frank 1 Apr 1900 Willingdon
In Loving Memory
who fell asleep
July 3rd 1910
Aged 21 Years
Jesus Called Him
In Ever Loving Memory
who died 10th March 1932
Aged 70 Years
also of her dearly loved husband
who died 17th November 1960
Aged 96 Years
- Charlotte married Havelock Thomas Holland, a gas stoker, in Westham on 16 May 1896 and in 1901 they were living at Blacknest with two children, Dorothy and Frederick. In 1911 they were at Friday Street and had another son, Gilbert.
- Annie married Frank Barnard, a farm labourer, in Westham on 25 April 1896. In 1901 they were in Herstmonceux with two children, Ruby and Lilian, staying with Frank's parents. An elder daughter, Loris, was not with them in 1901 but was in 1911 along with a fourth child, Hubert
- Caleb married Annie Savage in Westham on 2 September 1899 and in 1901 they were living in Friday Street and Caleb worked as a navvy. By 1911 he was shown in the census as a stockman. During the 1930's he was living in Rose Cottage, Westham. This was probably in Friday Street. They are known to have had five children, four baptised in Westham:
Arthur Caleb Q3 1901 Winifred Marguerite 28 Feb 1904 Leslie Christopher 29 July 1906 born 22 June Caleb Victor 27 July 1913 Ernest Frank 26 Nov 1916