John & Philadelphia Catt of Willingdon
John Catt, son of William and Mary, was baptised in Willingdon, Sussex, on 11 December 1785.
Philadelphia Verrall was probably born in Berwick, Sussex ca. 1783.
John married Philadelphia in Berwick on 26 December 1806 and they had 10 children baptised in Willingdon:
|Harriet||26 Jul 1807||Willingdon|
|Elizabeth||3 Apr 1809||Willingdon|
|Ann||10 May 1812||Willingdon|
|Mary||9 May 1813||Willingdon|
|John||12 Mar 1815||Willingdon|
|Sarah||25 Aug 1816||Willingdon|
|Emma||3 May 1818||Willingdon|
|George||29 Aug 1820||Willingdon|
|Charlotte||30 Jun 1822||Willingdon|
|Phyllis||12 May 1824||Willingdon|
In 1841 John, an agricultural labourer, was in Willingdon with his wife, shown as Phillis, two of their children, Harriett and Phyllis, and 2-year-old Robert Catt, the illegitimate son of Emma who was a servant in Eastbourne. Also occupying rooms in the same house were John jnr. with his wife, Mary, and Edward Climpson, widow of Elizabeth, with their two daughters.
In 1851 John and Phillis were still in Willingdon with daughter Harriett and grandson Robert.
John died in 1860, aged 75, and Philadelphia in 1867, aged 85.
Of their children:
- Harriett did not marry but lived with her parents until they died. After that she continued to live in Willingdon, next to the post office, until she died in 1897 aged 91.
- Elizabeth married Edward Climpson in Willingdon on 17 July 1828 and they are known to have had two children baptised:
Elizabeth 14 Jun 1829 Willingdon Ellen 26 May 1833 Willingdon
- Ann married Thomas Wickens in Willingdon on 16 February 1833 and their children were:
Ann 1834 Westham Trayton 1836 Westham Mary 1838 Westham Sarah 1841 Westham Tamar (a daughter) 1842 Westham Emma 1844 Westham Hannah Louisa 1847 Westham Thomas William 1850 Westham
- Mary married Jonathan Douch in 1834.
- John, an agricultural labourer, married Mary Breedon in 1840 and they lived in Willingdon but had no children. Mary died, probably in 1854 and in 1855 John remarried to Rhoda Allen (20 years his junior) with whom he had eight children, mainly baptised in Surrey:
William Henry ca. 1855 born in Rotherhithe Mary Elizabeth 28 Feb 1858 Kingswood George Jasper 1 Jul 1860 Chipstead Charles Robert 20 Dec 1863 Chipstead Rosa Charlotte 30 Dec 1866 Chipstead Ernest Allen 26 Dec 1869 Kingswood (died 1871) Herbert John 19 May 1872 Redhill Frederich James 24 Jul 1881 Redhill
- Sarah married a farm worker, Robert Jasper, in Seaford on 3 December 1836 where they had six children baptised:
Ann 29 Oct 1837 Seaford (born 1 Oct) Mary 29 Sep 1839 Seaford (born 25 Aug) Thomas 28 Feb 1841 Seaford (born 9 Jan) Ellen 8 Sep 1844 Seaford Robert 15 Oct 1848 Seaford (born 28 Jul) John 11 Aug 1850 Seaford (born 7 Jul)
- Emma had an illegitimate son, Robert, baptised in Willingdon on 24 February 1839, who was brought up by his grandparents. She married Thomas Allchorn, an Eastbourne fisherman, in 1844 and had a daughter, Sarah Ann, in 1846.
- George was working for Henry Mockett, innkeeper of the Kings Arms in Seaside, Eastbourne, in 1841. He married Ruth Mewett, from Willingdon, in Newhaven on 23 November 1844 and they appear to have had four children:
Alfred James ca. 1845 Willingdon Phyllis Elizabeth 7 Nov 1847 Willingdon Emily 5 Aug 1849 Willingdon William George 1853 Willingdon
- Charlotte was a servant in Wilmington in 1841 where she married John Page, a farm worker, in 1845. They had six children:
Phillis Ann 1846 Wilmington Sarah 1848 Wilmington Stephen 1850 Wilmington Caroline 1852 Wilmington Martha 1855 Wilmington George 1857 Wilmington
- Phillis married George Hewlett in Willingdon on 6 March 1856 but I have not traced them after this.