William & Frances Bishop
William Benjamin Bishop, son of Robert and Elizabeth, was born in Blakeney on 7 June 1822. He served as a mate in the merchant navy.
Frances Ramm, daughter of James and Elizabeth, was baptised in Cley-next-the-sea on 23 August 1822.
William married Frances in Cley-next-the-sea on 28 May 1844 and they had the following children baptised in Cley:
|William Benjamin||15 Jan 1845||buried 7 Feb|
|William Howard||no baptism found||buried 12 Sep 1847
|Eliza Elizabeth Bear||24 Oct 1849||buried 17 Dec|
|William Henry||17 Aug 1851|
|Anna Maria||18 Jul 1854|
|Arthur Peace||9 Jun 1856|
|Robert Benjamin||23 Jan 1859||born 28 Aug 1858|
|Howard James Ramm||26 Jan 1862||born 29 Jun 1861|
|Florence Elizabeth||26 Jul 1863|
The 1851 census showed William and Frances living on their own in Quay Street, Cley, their first three children having died in infancy.
The 1861 census for ships taken at Walker, Newcastle, Northumberland, shows A B Seaman William Bishop as part of the four man crew of the vessel ‘Good Intent’, probably a fishing boat. Frances and their four children; William, Anna, Arthur and Robert were living at High Street, Cley.
William is said to have been blinded in an accident on a ship about five years before he died. He was buried in Cley on 12 June 1870 aged 48.
In 1871 Fanny Bishop, widow and dressmaker, was living on the East side of the High Street with her five younger children. In 1881 she was still living there with Arthur, Howard and Florence. Arthur and Howard were shown as fishermen. By 1891 only Arthur was still living there with Frances. Frances was buried on 21 January 1899.
Of their children:
- William married Maria Cornwell in Cley in 1872 and they had four children baptised there:
Maria Elizabeth 8 Jun 1873 Anna Sarah 7 Feb 1875 Alice Mary Ramm 15 Oct 1876 William George 15 Jan 1888
- Maria may have married in 1897.
- Anna Sarah married her 2nd cousin James Jackson in 1891.
- Anna Maria married Francis Lewis, a sailor, possibly in 1878 but they do not appear to have had any children until 1892 when Frances James Lewis was born. Robert and Hephzibah’s first child, Mary Ann Beatrice, appears to have lived with them as she is shown there in 1881 (incorrectly as daughter) and 1891 (as Beatrice, niece). By 1891 Francis was shown as a merchant’s labourer living in Porritt’s Yard and in 1901 as a general labourer living in Hollin’s Yard.
- Arthur was a fisherman and probably did not marry. He died in 1933.
- Robert married Hephzibah Gooch Cornwell in 1878.
- Howard married Lydia from Salthouse and they had the following children mostly baptised in Cley:
Rosa Ann 1884 Frederick James 15 Jan 1887 Walter Robert 20 Feb 1891 Ellis Howard 19 Feb 1893 Georgina 1895 Arthur 16 Apr 1898 Edgar Robert 20 Nov 1900 Valentine Bertie 14 Feb 1903 Sidney James 14 Jun 1905
- Rosa was a housemaid in Mitcham, Surrey, in 1901.
- Fred married Millicent Martha Stone in 1915 but apparently died during the First World War.
- Walter married Charlotte Elizabeth High from Salthouse in 1915 and they lived in Cley. Walter was buried there in 1971 and Charlotte in 1985.
- Ellis married Mildred Jane Fuller in 1913. They lived in Cley and were buried there in 1977 and 1976 respectively.
- Arthur married and had children and was buried in Cley in 1938.
- Edgar married Beatrice Eggleton in 1919.
- Valentine died in 1941.
- Florence married James William Broughton, a mariner from Blakeney, in Cley on 20 May 1884. By 1899 they had moved to South Shields, County Durham. In 1901 and 1911 they were living at 233 South Eldon Street. Their children were:
Anna Mary B Q2 1885 Cley James William Howard Q4 1886 Cley Arthur Robert F Q2 1889 Cley Percy Ernest Q1 1893 Cley Stanley Roland Q2 1896 Cley William Marshall Q2 1899 South Shields Florence Annie Q3 1902 South Shields John Thomas Q3 1904 South Shields Septimus Peter S Q1 1907 South Shields
- Anna married John Storey in 1907.
- James married Jessie Hazel in 1908.
- Arthur married Catherine Fryer in 1921.
- Percy married Hannah Mansfield in 1918.
- Stanley married Florence Mansfield in 1921.
- Florence married Robson Wayman in 1923.
- John married Annie Fraser in 1928.
- Septimus married Ruth Smith in 1934.