Robert & Hephzibah Bishop
Robert Benjamin Bishop, a son of William and Frances, was born in Cley-next-the-sea, Norfolk, on 28 August 1858.
Hephzibah Gooch Cornwell, the illegitimate daughter of William Gooch and Elizabeth Cornwell was born in Glandford on 1 June 1861.
Robert married Hephzibah in Cley-next-the-sea on 21 November 1878. His sister Florence Elizabeth Bishop was a witness at the marriage. Robert and Hephzibah appear to have had 12 children:
|Mary Ann Beatrice||Q4 1879|
|William Benjamin||1 Jan 1881|
|Florence Elizabeth||Q2 1882||bap. 20 Aug 1882|
|Edith||2 Apr 1884|
|Margery Julia||13 Dec 1885|
|Gertrude||23 Dec 1887|
|Anna Maria||27 Oct 1889|
|Lucy May||30 May 1892|
|Robert Ramm||26 Mar 1895|
|Martha (Pat)||1 Jan 1899|
|Clement Edward||9 Feb 1901|
|Irene Edna||15 Nov 1902|
Robert worked for most of his life as an agricultural labourer and later as a fisherman, and for many years lived in what is now called Hill Top House, on Cley Hill. In 1881 he was shown living at Hill Side, and in 1901 at Hill Top. After retiring he became the first warden of the Cley Marshes bird reserve from 1926 until 1937.
Robert, Hephzibah, unknown, Syd Hunnisett (grandson), unknown
outside Hill Top in June 1939 - photo tinted by Syd Hunnisett
Robert died on 19 August 1941 and Hephzibah on 29 November 1941.
Of their children:
Mary was never shown with her parents at any census. In 1881 she was with Robert’s married sister, Anna Lewis, and incorrectly recorded as her daughter, Mary A B Lewis. In 1891 she was still with Francis and Anna Lewis but this time shown as their niece, Beatrice Bishop. She was known as Beatrice all her life. In 1901 she was working as a waitress in Islington and in 1902 she married William Buckett. The 1911 census shows them in Walthamstow where William worked as a ledger clerk in a drapery warehouse and it is known that he later ran an off-licence in Wood Green. There children were:
Vera Beatrice M Q2 1906 Islington William Robert Arthur Q3 1909 Pancras Alma H M Q1 1919 West Ham
- Vera married Rupert Fyson in 1935 but they are not known to have had any children.
- William emigrated to Australia in 1927, sailing on SS Bendigo bound for Sydney. There he married Eunice Smailes in 1935 and died in 1978.
- Alma married Fred Ashton in 1939 and had two sons; Peter and Allen.
- William was a labourer and later a fisherman. On 3 April 1902 he married Sarah Ann Barnard in Cley. Sarah already had a son, Herbert Wall Barnard, born in 1897 and said to be William's, who was brought up by an uncle. William and Sarah's other children were:
Ellis William Q4 1901 Erpingham Ernest Frederick 16 Oct 1903 bapt. 6 Dec 1903 Cley Phyllis M Q1 1909 Walsingham Magnus Benjamin Q4 1911 Walsingham William Francis Q1 1914 Walsingham Dorothy E Q2 1917 Walsingham
- Herbert Barnard married Rose Oram in 1920 and had a son Ellis.
- Ellis Bishop married Helen Oldfield in 1927 and they had 4 children.
- Magnus married Marjorie Pearsons and they had 2 daughters, Lorna and Judith.
- William, or Billy Bishop as he was known was born in Blakeney in about 1914. He married Joyce Ellen Brett in Cley in 1937 and they lived in Cley where he followed in his grandfather’s footsteps to become the warden of the Norfolk Naturalist Trust bird reserve from 1937 until 1978 when his son Bernard took over as warden. They had four children, Ann, David, Jeffrey and Bernard. During his retirement Billy lived in a house called Avocet and wrote a book, 'Cley Marsh and it's birds'. He died in 1986.
- Dorothy married William Allen in 1936 and they had five children.
- Florence went into service and in 1901 she was a housemaid in St Marylebone, London. She married a bookbinder, Fred Rogers in 1911, lived in Tottenham and had three children:
Gladys M Q1 1913 Edmonton Frederick C Q1 1915 Edmonton Violet G Q3 1916 Edmonton
- Gladys lived in Eastbourne
- Violet married a farmer in Norfolk.
- Edith went into service and in 1901 was a housemaid in Ware, Hertfordshire. Later she was in Eastbourne, Sussex, where she married Jonathan Caleb Hunnisett.
- Marjorie married William Laws in 1921 and lived on a farm at Guist. They had two children:
Sydney H Q3 1922 Downham Robert W Q4 1926 Downham
- Gertrude married Albert Trebble in 1907 and in 1911 they were living in Muswell Hill where Albert worked as an assistant butcher. Later Albert ran a small chain of butchers and lived near Alexandra Palace. Their children were:
Irene Louisa Q3 1908 Edmonton Phyllis Marjorie Q2 1910 Barnet died 1917 aged 6 Albert L Q3 1913 Edmonton Harold J Q2 1919 Edmonton died 1936 aged 17 Gertrude Grace Q1 1921 Edmonton
- Irene married Howard Pickett in 1929 and they had 4 children; Nita, Joyce, Kenneth and Norman.
- Albert married Joyce Holden in 1938 and ran one of his father's butcher's shops. They appear to have had 4 children; Rosemary, Edward, Jill and Jack.
- Gertrude was always known as Grace. She married Arthur Moore in 1945 and they had two children; Hilary and Geoffrey. She then appears to have married George West in 1952 and had a further son, Richard.
- Annie, like her sister Edith, was in service in Eastbourne and married a local man, Fred Pitcher, in 1914. They had four sons:
Frederick E Q2 1914 Eastbourne George R Q1 1920 Eastbourne Victor R Q3 1923 Eastbourne Alan A C Q3 1930 Eastbourne
Fred died in 1965 and Annie in 1976.
- Fred married Josephine Dryden in 1938 and had three children, Jane, John and Frederick.
- George married Olive Stain in 1939 and they had a daughter, Valerie. During WWII George was a signalman with 9/11th Indian Division Signals and was believed killed in action. However he was actually captured by the Japanese and held at Taihoku #6 (Taipei) on Formosa (Taiwan) until the end of the war. He subsequently married Brenda Hunt.
- Victor married Patricia Kelly in 1946 and had two children; Tony and Jacqueline.
- Alan married Violet Summerhayes in 1954 but they divorced and he married Jean Coghill with whom he had two children.
- Lucy married a policeman and they emigrated to Canada.
- Robert lived in or near Cley and married Hilda May Piggott on 2 July 1921. They are known to have had three children born in Cley:
William Robert 13 Feb 1923 Leonard 12 Nov 1929 Norman 20 Oct 1931
- Martha, always known as Pat, completed her education in Bolton staying with friends of the family (the Cornwells ?). She married Walter Stapleton in 1922, lived in Yaxham and they had two children:
Mabel Dorothy Q3 1922 Mitford Ronald W Q3 1927 Mitford
- Clement appears to have married Mary Masterson in 1929 and had at 3 children:
Clement R Q4 1931 St Albans Maureen E Q3 1934 Barnet John B Q3 1936 St Albans
- Irene married Walter Wordingham in 1923 and they had at least 3 children:
Pearl M Q1 1925 Walsingham Eileen E Q4 1926 Walsingham Leonard W Q4 1933 Walsingham